Friday, August 3, 2012

Black Floral Dress

A friend of mine recently gave me a black floral dress from a thrift store. I really enjoyed the pattern so I decided to 'flip' it into something much cuter.


BEFORE



So, as you can see the before was atrocious. But I saw potential, as I do in most hideous thrift store dresses. The top portion of the dress seemed hopeless, the shoulder pads had to go. I cut off the entire upper portion and just left the bottom, skirt part together. The skirt has pockets which always gets me happy because pockets in a skirt are hard to come by, especially in a thrift store dress. The waist also already had elastic in it which gave me an idea.
Changes I made:
  • No more Zipper
    • On the back was a zipper. I folded excess fabric over it then sewed it over to cover it up.
  • Hemmed
    • I cut off all of the frays from what was once the waist band and hemmed it.



AFTER

Style One:
Thank you elastic! When I finished doing all of the alterations I pulled the skirt on over my head, got it over my body then thought to myself, "Hey, this looks pretty cute", but boxy. So I simply put a thin black belt around the waist to add shape.
Style Two:
The maxi skirt. It has returned. At first I was weary of what it might look like on me because I have a longer torso and shorter legs but, after a lot of asking around and trying on other maxis in the mall, I fell in love. I paired a bright pink tank with it to bring out the pink flowers in the skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment