Saturday, October 22, 2016

SPED class: Week 5

Hello again everyone!

So this week I read a lot about collaboration and inclusion.
Collaboration is incredibly important to future teachers. As we continue on in our educational pursuits, it is important to always make connections with other people in the community. Collaborating with your fellow teachers really helps to create a better base for the students. When the teachers collaborate together they share their ideas and opinions with each other to better compile their thoughts. This in turn will help the students because the teachers can better prepare together on how to teach their students

I also did a simulation this week where I had to use a wheelchair for two and a half hours. I had to perform many tasks while in the chair. Some of the experiences that I had to do was that I had to push myself up and down a hill, use the bathroom, and make my way around without assistance. It was all very challenging. It took a lot of arm strength for sure, that was the first thing I noticed. Also, getting into the bathroom stall was nearly impossible. There is a small lift in the ground when you try to get through the door that I literally had to pull myself in through. The same thing was in front of another door that I had to cross through. It was terribly difficult to get through them in a wheelchair. Using the bathroom was also impossible. I could hardly transfer myself from the chair to the toilet. I don't know how it is done but it definitely takes a skill. Getting up the hill was equally as difficult. Using the elevator was easy though. 

What I got from this experience was using a wheelchair is difficult and now I can only slightly relate to just some of the daily struggles that come with this handicap. It was definitely an eye opener.

Until next time class! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment