Saturday, October 12, 2013

The First Three Weeks...

I'm in college now guys! Officially a freshman. I am majoring in Family and Consumer Education and can't wait to teach students in either high school or middle school basic life skills. Too many people now-a-days have no idea how to even sew or cook for themselves. You think I'm kidding? I'm not. With practice makes perfect. Anyone can learn how to do anything they put their minds to.

Any who, I am taking a Family Relations class as part of my major. It's a class that discusses the importance of family and the differences of it in different cultures. For this class I was asked to make a blog. Conveniently I already had one. So, from time to time I will be posting what I learn in this class.

In the first three weeks we discussed:

  1. Societal Trends & the Family
  2. Understanding Family Dynamics 
  3. Social Class & Cultural Diversity
In the first week we discussed societal trends and the family. The average idea of a family is a mother, father and children. The first lesson was how the family unit is changing. I'm sure most of you have seen the popular TV show Modern Family. This is basically what we talked about the first week, the 'modern family' I learned that the birth rate has dropped significantly over the years and that studies show that cohabitation before marriage actually has a reverse effect on the relationship and actually has a higher effect of a break up/divorce.
The second week was understanding family dynamics. Families are always really dynamic. There may be members who act alike but each member has a different role. This week was about how sometimes the role in families changes. Sometimes a parent is out of the equation and a child might have to take on the role of that missing parent. This tends to be happening more and more.
Lesson three was the most interesting to me personally. I love how diverse our world is, especially our country, America. Getting to see and experience different cultures just outside our door is fantastic. America is just a big melting pot of growth and human diversity.  I think the more diversity the better. Social class is another topic. I feel that different classes will always be with us, along with the distinct line dividing them. It's sad to think that we have such ego's.

I have learned much in this class that will become useful to me in the future I am sure.

Thank for reading!

xoxo-Hayley 





2 comments:

  1. Hey its your TA again! You mentioned that the idea of what the word "family" entails is changing, why do you believe this is the case? What are your thoughts about role dynamics? I know that in my family my older brother often takes on a fatherly role, what potential difficulties does a situation like this present? I too believe that social classes will be prevalent for quite some time. What are some pros and cons of discrepancies between social classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word "family" is changing because it is no longer a husband, wife and children. It's close friends, coaches, church friends etc.
      The role of a parent is very important in the upbringing of their children.In some cases the child takes on the parenting role which could potentially make a family disorganized and chaotic. I had the same issue in my family and I found it difficult and more challenging to have a stable home life.
      A pro of discrepancies between social classes are that they aren't as competitive between each other and a con is that the lower classes won't feel as involved or as privileged.
      Thanks for your questions!

      Delete